Tuesday 29 January 2013

Saga's 20 Questions - Day 2 Why I Started a Blog


The topic for day 2 of Saga's 20 Questions is "why you decided to start a blog". Now it may surprise you to know that actually this is only my latest in a long line of blogs & I explained the start of this one in my very first post here.

My first blog was back in 2005/2006 and I was really heavily into my photography. I'd only just got my first semi-decent digital camera but the photos I was producing were getting a lot of favorable comments from friends & family. I started looking around for a way to make my hobby pay for itself & I found a whole bunch of microstock sites (like Shutterstock, Dreamstime etc) & I found Etsy & Zazzle.

I loved Etsy but standing out from the crowd there was really tough - I got totally hooked on the super busy forums which is where I learned about Twitter, Stumbleupon & blogging. My first blog was a mish-mash of my photos, friends stuff on Etsy & any 'news' about hitting the front page there or whatever I could come up with. It wasn't very focused to say the least but I did get quite a good readership going, even without knowing any SEO type stuff!

My next blog was an offshoot of the first one - I started a photo-a-day project on Flickr & decided to put them all in one place. I think I got to about 3 months in before life overtook me a bit & I also found World of Warcraft at this point so that didn't help me focus on my photography!

I've since amalgamated both these old blogs into one as the basis for restarting my photography blog - 2013 is an onwards & upwards year & I intend to play my WoW AND get my photography going again. If you want to have a peek at the old me or if you just want to have a look at some pretty photographs, you can find my alter ego at Helen Shorey Photography - my! doesn't that sound all growed up! lol

After about a year of playing WoW almost full time (I was off work due to illness), I found myself alone in game & started gold-making. Around the time that Cataclysm arrived, I was getting itchy fingers again & AH Addict was born. & has just celebrated its 2nd blogging birthday! I have thoroughly enjoyed writing there about my gold-making adventures but I do sometimes find it a little restrictive subject-wise so here we are - my 'anything vaguely WoW' blog was born.


****************

Check out some of my Squidoo lenses!

No comments:

Post a Comment