Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Fly Day!

Heathrow Airport Breakfast!
Today I fly to St Louis to see my man and words fail me in trying to express just how stoked I am to see him again! It's been a long 4.5 months, that's for sure.

I was originally scheduled to travel to the airport with my Dad and Stepmom but sadly they've had to cancel their trip. Dad still insisted on driving me to the airport though so we had a good couple of hours chat time on the drive before I headed out. I made a big booboo though - for some reason I was convinced I was flying from terminal 5 which is the newest terminal at Heathrow. But when Dad dropped me off, it didn't look familiar at all and when I got inside, all I could see was British Airways desks!

Oops! Commence mad panic to get to Terminal 2 - which is the most recently refurbished terminal - so I was sort of correct when I picked terminal 5 as the newest but I'd gotten it mixed up with terminal 2. Luckily, the Heathrow Express shuttle train is free within the airport so all I had to do was hop on that and then walk what felt like a couple of miles to get to the check in desks. I still had time for a huge breakfast too - although by the time I got there, I'd been awake 5 hours and it felt more like lunchtime!

Once through security, I got my bearings, glad to see a familiar layout at last. I headed for the bookstore to see if there was anything that caught my fancy. My cellphone started ringing and it's such a rare occurance that it took me a few seconds to realise it was my phone! It was my Mom, just calling to wish me a safe trip but we chatted for about 15 minutes. I have no idea what we were chatting about as I'd spent the previous evening with her anyway!

After that, I gave up on the bookstore and had to dash to the gate. I thought I had plenty of time but it's a 15 minute walk to the furthest gates and when I got there, it was eerily quiet. It turned out, I was one of the last people to arrive and I was just about settled in my seat when we started taxiing to the runway - almost 10 minutes early for a change. Even better than an early take-off - I had a full row to myself. I nabbed some extra pillows to make a comfy leaning/sleeping nest and stretched out to nap.

So here I am at 36,000 feet in the air somewhere near the coast of Newfoundland and like the soppy cow that I am, I'm crying over a cartoon character! I chose to watch Big Hero Six as it looked like a fun and light-hearted movie but I had no idea there were sad bits. I won't say what happened as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but if you're a bit soppy like me, you might want to take a few tissues with you when you do see it!

Maybe I'm over-tired or a bit sensitive today and it's not that sad but whatever, it did give me some real laugh out loud moments too. I guess I have a kids sense of humor still because when he had to let the air out, I nearly lost my coffee through my nose, I snorted/giggled so hard!

I finally made it to Newark and on to the next plane. The guy sitting next to me is snoring already but he did manage to stay awake long enough to say he'd been travelling for over 40 hours already. He'd come from India via Brazil to Newark and this was his last flight. I thought I was going to be tired after 24 hours awake but heck, that's nothing compared to his journey!

Only an hour to go until I land at St Louis now. I'm so tired I don't know how I'm going to get from the airport to Scott's apartment but I know I'll have a huge burst of energy as soon as I see him. We're planning pizza for food tonight - I just hope I can summon up enough energy to actually chew my food!

(500 Word challenge - day 12 word count 728. As promised, I wrote this on my trip so I apologise if the tenses and phrasing are a bit mixed up!)


Check out my other projects
Gifts for Gamers and Geeks

and my photography site
HVS PHotography


No comments:

Post a Comment